What is a Learning Commons? And, how is it different than a traditional school library?
Spend a few minutes getting acquainted with the concept of the learning commons if you are not already familiar with it.
- Slideshow: Introduction to the Learning Commons Concept PLC LC intro slides
- Article: “What is a Learning Commons,” by Koechlin, Rosenfeld, and Loertscher; an extract from the book: Building a Learning Commons: A Guide for school Administrators and Learning Leadership Teams. What Is a Learning Commons?
What is the physical learning commons?
- Slideshow: The Physical Learning Commons Concept plc quickmooc physical learning commons
- Comic Strip: Before and After the transformation to the Learning Commons PLC ebook LC intro Comics
- Doug Johnson in his ASCD column on the New School Library: http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/oct13/vol71/num02/The-New-School-Library.aspx
What questions come to mind that you’d like to pursue? We suggest that you create a Google Document where you can build your questions, track your work, and share your progress with your mentor or with your group.
What’s Next? Visit the Gallery
P.S. If you would like to earn a badge, click here
Two major books explain the transformation of the school library into a Learning Commons:
- The New Learning Commons Where Learners Win. 2nd ed. by David V. Loertscher, Carol Koechlin and Sandi Zwaan; Hi Willow Research and Publishing; 2011. Available from: http:lmcsource.com
- A Guide for Building the Learning Commons: A Guide for school Administrators and Learning Leadership teams: A Whole school Approach to Learning for the Future, by Carol Koechlin, Esther Rosenfeld, and David V. Loertscher. Hi Willow Research & Publishing, 2010. Available from: http:lmcsource.com