In this room, we have provided a variety of examples of articles where the transition to a learning commons is happening and articles that further explain the concept. We invite you to sample, read, comment on the blog or at the bottom of this page, and contribute articles, and ideas of your own. Perhaps you have a story to tell about your own transitions that others might find very helpful.
- Lynn Hay describes the Australian perspective on transitioning to the iCentre (learning commons)
- Susan Faust and Jenny Howland describe the use of design thinking to hake a major transition in their school.
Susan Faust and Jenny Howland
- Shannon Robinson describes the transition to a learning commons in a high school in CT.
- David V. Loertscher and Carol Koechlin explore the research as the foundation of the learning commons concept.
David V. Loertscher and Carol Koechlin
- Bruce White sets the background for the transition to learning commons as he examines his own experience.
- Check out the construction slides of this Henrico County, VA elementary school transition: https://sites.google.com/site/kaechelelibrary/
- Peggy Stedman, teacher librarian, and Greg Carroll, principal describe their learning commons at the Allen Center in New Zealand.
Peggy Stedman and Greg Carroll
- Christina A. Bentheim describes the transformation of her elementary school in Las Vegas, NV.
Christina A. Bentheim
- Linda Waskow describes her transition to an elementary school learning commons in South Carolina.
- Video: Flexible spaces and activities in the elementary LC: http://www.schooltube.com/video/2a138405ea18f0630b05/The%20Collaborative%20Learning%20Commons
- The Edgewood School in Toronto Canada slides give a glimpse of a maker space (Science Experience Lab) in combination with a Learning Commons: https://docs.google.com/file/d/1HgPb1AG_k1aYCHXKHqeNIRC4VGmdxl6ahDRpO4Zguuv6gXny0xIxBbz8aWHu/edit
- Tamara Mitchell and Fran Potvin-Schafer describe their creation of a unique K-8 learning commons in Toronto Canada.
Tamara Mitchell and Fran Potvin-Schafer
- Sue Kowalski gives us a tour of her transition to a middle school learning commons in Syracuse New York.
- Valeri Diggs writes about her experience in Chelmsford, MA
- Robin Cicchetti describes her transformation at Concord-Carlisle Regional High School, MA
- Andrew Churches, noted ed tech professional, offers advice on the transition to a learning commons.
- Marc Crompton describes the transitions of five schools in Vancouver, B.C. toward learning commons.
- Paul Christensen describes two very successful programs coming from very different approaches.
- Pamela Harland describes her journey toward a learning commons in her New Hampshire high school.